These mini coconut loves are loaded with coconut and also the flavours. This can be cut in to several small slices and serve for high tea or even for a brunch.You can bake them for school fairs or to give away for Christmas.
I love coconut as well as bread. I cant stop eating them when ever I make them. These small cakes can be done in small baking pans or loaf cases. If you cant find them make sure to use a larger tray leaving space to grow. If you are willing to buy them try online. I buy them online.
When you have time you can prepare the coconut mix and leave in fridge. It saves time. If you find it runny make sure to add a bit more coconut. Any way coconut absorb all the excess liquids in few minutes.
Strawberries are in season and really cheap too. Try doing different styles of baking with the seasonal fruit. This is a very simple dessert that you can do in half an hour if you have everything in hand. This will be a best idea for a quick dessert .
I did this for a friend who visited us recently. So simple but really elegant on the plate. Nice crunchy short cakes with beautiful fresh strawberries in the middle with the mascarpone cheese made this a tasty dessert to please them all.
The only thing you need to know when making this is not to bake the short cakes until brown. Then it will be hard to cut it well. So make sure to take them out when just ready.
See the pictures below the recipe…………………..
Baking is an art. I am addicted to it. If I haven’t done at least one baking for a day I am not happy. One Sunday morning I thought of doing this recipe as I got many requests too. This Spinach and Feta tart was a hit. The most important thing when you do a pie or a tart is to do a very thin and light crust. If the crust is heavy and floury you loose the taste of the filling. This crust is so light and thin so you can enjoy this savoury tart to the end.
The other thing that you need to remember when doing a tart or a pie crust is leaving in fridge to rest. If you are living in a warmer climate make sure to leave the tart at least 30 minutes to rest in fridge. It was winter and I did it at once.
The filling for this always can change according to your taste. Swiss chard, rappa, silver beet, beet root leaves or even kale are some of the leaves you can use instead of spinach.
Baked cheese cakes are totally different to a no bake cheese cake. The taste is very nice and creamy and makes a nice special dessert. I should let you know several secrets to a perfect baked cheese cake.
In this I used sour cream. Its the best for a cheese cake. If you don’t use or cant find sour cream add whipping cream with 1 table of lemon juice for this amount. But try using sour cream for the best results.
Never over mix the ingredients. The base should be in fridge at least 30 minutes. The cheese cake should be in the oven with the oven door ajar until cools down completely. After make sure to put the cheese cake in fridge at least several hours to rest. Later cut and serve with cream or ice cream.
I used to do baklava always for functions as in a tray and cut in to diamond shaped tiles. Recently a work colleague brought baklava rolls. She has done a big batch for Ramadan. So I asked so many questions from her about the rolling pin that they use to make these beautiful rolls.
One day I went to Bunnings and got this roller and asked them to cut it for me. Using that I made these rolls for a friends retirement party.
Lets do it step by step………….
For this recipe you will need 200 g pistachios with a cup of sugar to mix in. You need 250 grams butter too. Mix sugar and the crushed pistachios together.
The same time need another 1 cup sugar with 1 1/2 cup of water. Add the sugar in to a pot and add the water in to it and leave aside.
Melt the butter and get the rolling pin and a packet of filo pastry. Take one sheet out and cover the leftovers with a damp cloth.
Slightly butter the filo. Sprinkle the crushed pistachios on it.
Put the rolling pin on the corner and slightly roll it. Make sure not to give too much pressure.
Lay another pastry and brush butter only and roll with the rolled pastry with nuts.
After pressure from both ends and squeeze the sheets. Lay them on a baking tray.
Brush the rolls with butter And bake on 180 c about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Meanwhile put the pot with sugar on the stove and add about a table spoon full lime or lemon juice.
Take the baked rolls, cut while hot to the desired size and pour the hot syrup onto the hot rolls and leave to absorb all the syrup. Leaving overnight is the best.
Serve with a cup of coffee.
I always like to do different styles of baking. Always I try to improve the dough in each recipe. This is one of them. The bread comes so nice and fluffy. So the texture of this bread scroll is very soft and moist too.
The filling can be done in different ways.You can use the sliced meat or shredded meat from the deli with cheese slices. (Thats the easiest) If not you can use the left overs from the Sunday roast or can prepare them on your own. Make sure not to have a liquids. Then the bread will go soggy underneath. Even the cheese will do this to the bread if you use a very fatty version of cheese. I used the proceed cheese because of that.
As I always mention, when adding water do not add once. When using eggs for a recipe, make sure to add a little at once. Then wait and add a bit more. This way the dough will comes soft and pliable.
Always leave space in between the scrolls to prove. I used a 12x 4 inch pan for this recipe. If you are living in a cooler climate make sure to preheat oven to 25-30c and leave the dough in the oven. That way it helps to prove quickly.
- 400g Bread flour
- 2 Eggs
- 10g instant dry yeast
- 5g Salt
- 10g Sugar
- 200-250ml water
- 1 egg for the scrolls
- Salt and pepper
- Another egg for egg wash
- Sliced or shredded cheese
- Any meat as you wish
- Add the bread flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and the eggs in to a mixing bowl.
- Then mix it well.
- After add the water little by little until it makes a smooth dough and keep on kneading for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out and put in to greased bowl , cover and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- When the dough is doubled in size take out and punch down.
- After put the dough on to a floured bench and knead a minute or two adding a bit more flour to get to the consistency you like.
- After roll the dough to a large rectangle.
- Beat one egg with salt and pepper and brush it on the dough.
- Season with anything you wish.
- Lay the cheese and the meat. (Read the description above)
- Roll the dough pressing inwards. (This way it tightens)
- Cut to the size you like.
- Leave to double in size.
- Brush the top with the remaining egg and bake on 180c about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Breakfast is always a quick one for me all the week days. When i have time I like to something nice and nutritious for my family. These little breads are one of them. It takes five minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake. So all ready in less than 30 minutes. These can be done days ahead for brunch or for snacking or even for kids to have after school. Even these are nice and cute for a lunch box. The left overs can be kept for the next day with out a problem.
When you use spinach in this make sure to squeeze them finely as spinach holds a lot of water and it can make the bread go soggy. You can add bacon or ham too in it.
Adding sour cream or curd or even yoghurt gives it a rich creaminess as well ass increase the nutrition value.
I added cheese on top of the spinach to prevent it from burning when baking. But in the video I forgot to show that part. The number of the muffins depends on the size of the baking dishes that you are using. I made 8 large breads out from this recipe.
- 160g Self raising flour
- 2 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
- 80g Sour cream/ curd/ yoghurt.
- 30g melted butter
- 70g Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- Chopped squeezed spinach
- Several Eggs
- Add self raising flour, salt, baking powder, sour cream, melted butter, eggs and milk and stir well.
- Add half of the cheese in.
- Fill half of the moulds with the batter.
- Crack an egg in to the middle.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Put the spinach on top.
- Sprinkle the left over cheese and bake on 180c about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack or serve hot.
I love to sip a coffee if I have time to rest. I always go for something sweet with my coffee. One day I found this organic coffee shop which was full of beautiful sweets. I was a bit hungry too at that time and grabbed a piece of nut bread with my coffee. It was full of flavours. I sat in a corner where I can study the ingredients by my self and wrote what I thought was there on my little note book. I had a good recipe for the outer layer which I used for several things and I modified that with egg yolks and sugar. The nut mix I found in that was with lots of walnuts. To tell you the truth I am not a fan of walnuts. So I replaced that with cashew and created this slice which was a hit. I took some for work too. The taste of the brandy with almonds gives this cake a very rich flavour.
This Bread stays out side in an air tight container for a week. When you slice the cake if you put them individually you can freeze them for months with out a problem. Individual freezing saves time for thawing as well as you can take to work as a snack with out thawing. By the time you take out it is ready for munching.
If you want to do adjustments to the inner layer to your liking please go for it. All the nuts can be replaced with anything as you wish. For brandy add fruit juice. That will give an extra different flavour too. When baking make sure to use the middle rack. It will take one hour or more than that depending from the type of oven you are using.
- 300g plain flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 12g Instant dry yeast
- 3 Egg yolks
- 75g Butter
- 250-300ml milk
- 100g caster Sugar
For the Filling
- 1 Cup Shredded almonds
- 1 Cup chopped Cashew nuts
- 1 Cup Almond meal
- 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup Brandy
- 3 Egg whites
- 100g Sugar
- 1/2 Cup C raisins (Cranberries)/ Sultana/ Raisins etc.……
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Zest
- A few drops of Vanilla
- Add the plain flour, salt, yeast, egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and butter in to the mixing bowl start kneading adding milk little by little.
- Knead about 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by adding all the ingredients together. Leave until the dough rises.
- Leave the dough to double in size in a warm place.
- When the dough is ready knead adding flour divide the dough in to 2 equal parts.
- Roll each dough as thin as you can. Then spread the nut spread equally.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other.
- Leave to double and bake on 180c about one hour or until golden brown on top.
- Slice and serve with a coffee. It stays out more than a week.
When I go to an Asian bakery at least if I am passing I try to buy something new. Then I eat bite by bite writing all the ingredients. Then i create the recipe…. Most of the time I success. Some times I fail. But I never give up. I create it after several attempts, then it is tastier than what I ate. This recipe is one of them. I never give a wrong recipe. that’s why I am slowly moving ahead.
Canned tuna is not tasty by itself unless you buy the flavoured or even flavour it by your self. I like to add a creamier taste to it always. It’s much better than the spicier taste. If you can use the fresh tuna that’s the best. Baking this bun is really easy. Always when you do baking you need to have the correct room temperature above at least 20. If not always the pre heat the oven to 30 celcius and switch off or reduce to 20 and leave the dough in the oven to rise. if you make the temperature high it will not work too.
When you try baking for the first time it might not be the perfect. But don’t giveup. Try again and again. Always practice makes it perfect. Then you will find baking is the easiest thing in the world. Instead of sesame you can add any kind of a seed or can omit with out a proble. Same as the spices and chillies in the recipe. If you have any query dont hesitate to contact me too. I really want to share my knowledge with all who likes baking. Bon Appetit!
In this recipe you can omit several if you dislike or have any allegies.
- 400g bread flour
- 60g sour cream/Curd
- 2tblsp Sesame seeds
- 7g yeast
- 1tsp Salt
- 60-75ml Milk
- 50ml oil
- 1tblsp Sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
For the filling
- 1 can Tuna ( squeeze water out)
- 2 Shallots sliced
- Salt And Pepper
- 3 Eggs
- Green chillies(Optional)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tblsp Mixed spice
- 1 Cup Cheese
- Chopped Spring onions
- 1/2 slab 125g Cream Cheese or sour cream
- Add the bread flour, sugar yeast, salt, baking powder, sesame seeds, sour cream in to a mixing bowl and mix well
- Add oil and milk next. Knead the dough well about 10 minutes.
- Leave the dough to double in size in a warm place.
- Add tuna, salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, onions, spring onions, Green chillies, eggs, cream cheese, with the spices to a mixing bowl. Mix well & leave aside.
- When the dough is double in size knead it again and cut the dough in to equal size pieces.
- Then roll each dough piece to a circle.
- Put the filling in the middle.
- Fold the ends as directed in the video.
- Leave on trays to double in size.
- When its double in size sprinkle cheese, brush with the eggs, Bake on 180c about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.